We launched Screencast-O-Matic in 2006 with the mission to create easy-to-use, accessible tools that empower people to create and share their ideas through video. In the years since then, we’ve built out our product to be an extensible, end-to-end solution to create, capture, transform, and share knowledge and ideas through interactive video and images.
We initially offered a simple, intuitive product to capture your computer screen easily, and our name reflected that original product and mission. At that time, we felt other products were too complex, much too expensive and targeted to a small audience. Our screen recording solution was quickly and widely adopted, especially in education and product demo scenarios.
From the beginning, we have been committed to listening and responding to customer feedback, and our dynamic roadmap has reflected those needs. Feedback from our users has helped us continually expand and improve our products, and we’re proud of the great customer response our apps receive. Since our original launch, we have added:
- Full suite of image and video editing tools
- AI-driven voice and video features to streamline content creation
- Interactive and collaborative storyboarding
- Content management, customization, hosting, and sharing
- Video interactivity, including quizzing, polling, surveys, and call-to-actions
- Rich video analytics
Why we’re rebranding
As our products and services have evolved, so have our customer relationships. We have become mission-critical to our customers across multiple workflows. Therefore, we needed a new name to reflect our expanded mission while retaining the original promise of ease of use, friendliness, and extensibility.
There are also some practical reasons to change our name. First, it’s hard to say. Even long-term customers commonly mispronounce our name. Screenomatic, screencastmatic, and our team favorite, screencastomagic, are all used by current customers. It’s also hard to type and type correctly. Typing a name with 18 characters and two hyphens doesn’t exactly align with the easy-to-use promise!
Our goal is to provide tools you’re proud to use. We want our brand and communication to have the same level of care as our products. We’ve taken time to realign our company name and brand to represent the comprehensive, high-quality, user-friendly products we develop and to provide a consistent brand voice and visual identity across all touchpoints in the user journey. Across your devices and the web, wherever you use and experience our apps, you should have a similar, trusted experience.
Our new company name and updated branding represent the next chapter. ScreenPal brings together all aspects of our business and is backed by years of in-depth research. Our new name provides many benefits, including that it’s easier to say, spell, understand, and type. This name reinforces our mission and aligns closely with our core values.
We’re excited about the opportunity that our new brand provides. We believe this update will help us communicate more clearly and better meet the needs of our users and partners to help us grow and continue providing best-in-class solutions.
What can you expect?
You can still expect the same quality products and support, with a new name and reimagined user interface:
- Our products work just as you expect, with a new, fresh, consistent, and holistic look.
- Your usernames and passwords will remain the same.
- Instead of visiting Screencast-O-Matic.com, you can head to ScreenPal.com. (We will redirect you if you forget.)
- All the content you have shared on Screencast-O-Matic will automatically redirect to a new link. So your audience won’t have to do anything to continue viewing your content.
- Analytics data in your content hosting platform will be unaffected. You will have continuous data from before and after our relaunch as ScreenPal.
- Any new features will be developed and released on the new experience.
Questions? We’ve put together this FAQ with answers.
Thank you for being a part of our community and for all of your feedback over the years. We’re looking forward to this next chapter, and are so excited about the great things that we can create together!